79.8 F
Bluffton

Loading Events

« All Events

  • This event has passed.

Gullah Backyard Cookout

July 20, 2019 @ 6:00 pm - 8:00 pm

Gullah Backyard Cookout

Gullah Backyard Cookout & BHPS Membership Meeting

Date: Saturday, July 20, 2019
Time: 6:00-8:00 pm
Location: Common Ground at the Heyward House Museum & Welcome Center
Cost: $15 per person (for 8 food tickets) and $5 for children under 12 yrs

Come and out and support the restoration of the Campbell Chapel African Methodist Episcopal Church on July 20th, 2019 on the Common Ground of The Heyward House. This event is sponsored by A Call to Action and the Bluffton Historical Preservation Society and will feature live music and food.

For more information, please contact Constance Martin-Witter at (248) 390-1798, or at [email protected]

About the Campell Chapel African Methodist Episcopal Church: Our original edifice, is the oldest sanctuary in Old Town Bluffton. It was named after the presiding bishop of the South Carolina AME Churches at the time of its dedication. It was purchased from the Bluffton Methodist Church in 1874 by nine former slaves, who were looking for a building to establish a church under the auspices of a black denomination spreading over the South called the African Methodist Episcopal Church. The building was built in 1853. The nine former slaves were: Jacob Chislom, Renty Fields, William Ferguson, Jeffrey Buncombe, William Smiley, David Heyward, Christopher Bryan, Theodore Wilson, and William Lightburn. The Original building has been altered over the years. An extension to the rear and a choir loft was added. The church was re-floored and a brick step was built. An annex was added in 1966, containing classrooms and a kitchen. In 1973, the sanctuary was completely renovated. Other additions to the original facility include a pastor study, finance room, lounge and restrooms for both women and men.

The Bluffton Historical Preservation Society, Inc. was organized in 1981 in Bluffton, South Carolina by W. Hunter Saussy and sixteen other interested residents of the town. From that modest beginning, our membership has grown to hundreds of interested people; many of these are descendants of early families of the area.

The Society’s constitution states its purpose: ‘To bring together people interested in history, and especially in the history of Bluffton and its vicinity.’ Our major function is to discover and collect any material which may help to establish or illustrate the history of this area. The Society will provide for the preservation of such material and make it accessible as far as may be possible, to seriously interested persons who wish to examine or study it. The Society also will undertake the preservation and marking of historical buildings, sites, and monuments. The Society seeks to arouse interest in the past by furnishing historical information to newspapers and other media and by holding meetings with lectures and papers presented and discussed.

The opportunity to fulfill the Society’s purpose to undertake the preservation of historical buildings occurred in 1998. Several historic homes in Bluffton had recently been sold and the Society became increasingly aware of the need to become involved in the preservation of such structures. In February 1998, the decision was made to purchase the Cole-Heyward house at 70 Boundary Street from Mrs. D. Hasell Heyward, and tours of the antebellum house and former slave cabin began almost immediately.

The house-museum was designated as an official project of the Save America’s Treasures program, and in 2002, it also became the Official Welcome Center for the Town of Bluffton. The preservation of this house has raised the awareness of the need for preservation of the entire town (which was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1996). The Cole-Heyward House is a continuing preservation project that provides a rare glimpse into antebellum life and offers educational opportunities to thousands of visitors yearly.

Excerpted from “A Guide to Historic Bluffton” published by the Bluffton Historical Preservation Society in 2007.

THE BLUFFTON HISTORICAL PRESERVATION SOCIETY

Today BHPS is headquartered at the Heyward House Museum & Welcome Center located at 70 Boundary Street in Old Town Bluffton. The Society also owns the Colcock-Teel House (46 Colcock Street) where they house the Caldwell Archives.

BHPS is working hard on preserving the two historic homes it owns and helping with preservation throughout the town. We are a part of several non-profit organizations that promote history and culture.

To learn more about the Bluffton Historical Preservation Society please contact: 843-757-6293 or [email protected]

Details

Date:
July 20, 2019
Time:
6:00 pm - 8:00 pm
Event Category:
Event Tags:

Organizer

Bluffton SC Living Like A Rock Star
Email:
info@blufftonsc.com
View Organizer Website

Venue

The Heyward House
70 Boundary St.
Bluffton, SC 29910 United States
+ Google Map

FOLLOW Rock Star Joe

198FansLike
181FollowersFollow
5SubscribersSubscribe

BLUFFTON WEATHER

Bluffton
light rain
79.8 ° F
83.9 °
75.2 °
85 %
0mph
75 %
Tue
88 °
Wed
87 °
Thu
87 °
Fri
81 °
Sat
83 °

POPULAR ARTICLES ABOUT BLUFFTON